Hello all you gamers out there! I’m Hoeloe, and I’m here to say welcome to the development blog for my project Decima: The Last Story of Vald!
First, I’ll give you a bit of history of this project. Back in 2005, I made a flash game called “Space Raiders: The Lost City”. It was, to be blunt, poor. The enemies only arrived 2 at a time, and simply moved forwards until they died, the pacing was incredibly slow, with a ship that moved at about 2mph, the bosses were tedious and mostly required staying in one place and holding the space bar for, and I don’t exaggerate here, 10 minutes. And so on. In 2007, I removed that game from most of the internet as part of a scheme to clear my name of such awful games.
A little while ago, I decided it would be interesting to remake it because, despite all it’s flaws, it actually had the makings of a rather neat plot behind it. However, somewhere between these two versions, I had been introduced to the Touhou series, and decided the new version should be more like that. Being the impatient person that I am, I decided to create it in flash with no real thought as to the logistics. I made about the first 20 seconds of the first level before I realised that it wasn’t going to work, so I shelved it. Now we move onto version 3, several months later…
I decided that the game was actually quite good, and in the last version I’d even got an artist on board to do most of the design (he just so happens to be a good friend of mine). So, I set about remaking it, only this time, both in a sensible language, and as a commercial product. I began developing it in C#, using the XNA Framework, with the intention to develop for the Xbox 360. Again, being impatient as I am, I didn’t really put much thought into it before I started, and after a while, the code, despite working, got so messy that there was no point in continuing. So I started again…
Using the same tools, I began fashioning the newer version, putting more care and effort into the structure and design of the thing. Today, I put together a quick video to show of some of the unfinished features:
And this is where development is at today.
In this blog, you can expect progress updates, screenshots, the occasional video and, probably most commonly, rants about how painful programming this is. Most of the basic engine is actually done at this point, though. I have almost all the basics ready (spread over 49 class files), I just need to adapt things a little and add a couple of features, etc.
Anyway, I’m looking forward to showing you guys all this stuff as it’s happening!
That’s me out!